Learn more about the host city airports and their contingency measures
Besides the basic steps a passenger needs to follow when entering the country, the various regional Chilean airports have implemented special contingency plans to accommodate the potential increased volume of passengers during the Copa América.
SANTIAGO: Arturo Merino Benítez (AMB) International Airport
- This is the country’s main air terminal and will be operational during the Copa América.
- It has first aid services 24 hours a day.
- There is public parking with different options: safekeeping, covered and express parking.
- Each airline has its own online ticket purchasing system. If the user only has hand luggage, he or she can enter the lounges directly after first passing through the security check.
Find more information about the Santiago airport website: Airport website.
ANTOFAGASTA: Cerro Moreno Airport
- Located in the region of Antofagasta in the north of the country, this airport is equipped with a series of contingency actions for the sporting event.
- It will hire staff to guide passengers at the check-in line and efficiently use the public hall.
- It will have a first-aid room enabled.
- The service area for public parking will be available 24 hours a day.
For more information about the Antofagasta airport: Airport website.
LA SERENA: La Serena Airport
This airport in the country’s north will count on the support of Police (Carabineros) and the General Directorate of Civil Aviation (DGAC) for safeguarding the security of the facility.
For more information about the La Serena airport: Airport website.
CONCEPCIÓN: Carriel Sur Airport
- The Carriel Sur Airport, located in the district of Talcahuano, operates both domestic and international flights when, due to weather or force majeure, an aircraft cannot land at the Arturo Merino Benitez airport.
- If teams arriving to the city of Concepcion for quarterfinals and semifinals are top call, the ANFP will coordinate with the Chilean Police Force (Carabineros de Chile) and the DGAC to implement measures for movement of players and fans.
- Most boarding and landing will take place on all four operating bridges and there is a special resource provision to address the occurrence of incidents.
For more information about the Concepción airport: Airport website.
TEMUCO: La Araucanía Airport
- La Araucania Airport is the second most modern airport in Chile, located 20 kilometers from Temuco, in the community of Freire. It has the capacity to receive international flights.
- This is one of the country’s southern terminals where international flights can land directly for the event.
- Contingency actions similar to those described above are in place in order to maintain optimum operation in air terminal.
- Operating airlines: Lan Airlines and Sky Airlines (June 14, 21 and 25).
For more information about the Temuco airport: Airport website.
Source: Dirección de Aeropuertos (Port Authority)